- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 1 c
- water, warm 110 degrees
- 1/4 c
- shortening or butter melted
- 6 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
How to Make English Muffins
- 1Warm milk in small sauce pan until bubbling, remove from heat and set aside. Cool until lukewarm.
- 2In a small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, let stand until creamy 5-10 minutes.
- 3In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups of the flour. Mix until smooth.
- 4Add salt and remaining flour enough to make a soft dough, knead 5-10 minutes.
- 5Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size (about an hour).
- 6Punch down, Roll to 1/2
Punch down, roll to 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle cutter with cornmeal and set rounds onto wax paper and sprinkled with cornmeal and sprinkle tops as well let rise 25 min.
- 7Heat greased griddle and cook 10 min on each side at a medium heat. Keep warm in the oven until all have been cooked.
- 8Allow to cool and place in zip lock bags for storage.