Whole Wheat Elephant Biscuits
- 1 c
- flour, whole wheat
- 1 c
- flour, white
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 Tbsp
- sugar (or honey or agave)
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 c
- butter (grated or cut in with pastry knife)
- 1 c
- buttermilk (or 1cup milk and 1tbl lemon juice, let set 10 minutes)
- 3 Tbsp
- buttermilk powder and one cup milk in place of buttermilk
How to Make Whole Wheat Elephant Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 450.
Mix the dry ingredients with a whisk. Grate the butter into flour mixture with a cheese grater and mix well. I use my fingers to mix it in well but don't get it warm by taking to long.
- 2If using honey or Agave add it to the milk and mix it a little. Add liquid to dry and mix until just sticks together and no loose flour in bowel. Don't over mix. My granddaughter and I use our fingers to do this when working together. When it is just me I use a spoon.
- 3Put dough on lightly floured surface. I use a clean countertop. Fold over onto itself about 3 or 4 times adding a little flour to keep it from sticking to fingers. Don't overwork it or you get tough biscuits. Roll out with floured roller about an inch thick. I cut mine with a pizza cutter in equal size squares. Or use a biscuit cutter or elephant cutter which is for cutting PB&J sandwiches in half.
- 4Bake at 450 for 10 - 12 minutes until golden brown.