170 gbutter, room temperature
1 tspvanilla extract
2 cflour (measure then take out 2 tablespoons)
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspcream of tartar
How to Make Sugar Cookies
- Cream butter & sugar together until fluffy
- Add egg & vanilla. Beat well
- Sift dry ingredients & add to creamed mixture a bit at a time until completely blended. (Adding cornflour is optional but makes cake flour & helps shape of cookies)
- Cover & chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough, on floured board, to about 6mm thick (thicker cookies will be softer, thinner crispier)
- Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters (dipped in flour).
- Bake on lined tray at 180 C for about 10 minutes.
- Make a paste of icing sugar (2 T) & water (1-2 tsp). Use this to glue on raisins, m&m's, lollies, sprinkles or coloured sugar (mix a drop or two of food colouring into white sugar & let dry a few hours)
Chocolate drops can be pressed into cookies before baking.
- For all over icing mix butter, icing sugar, vanilla (or flavouring of choice) with a little milk or water until it is a spreading consistency.
Pipe around edges of cookie before filling (gives a clean non-dribbling edge)