- 3/4 c
- 170 g
- butter, room temperature
- 1 large
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 2 c
- flour (measure then take out 2 tablespoons)
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
How to Make Sugar Cookies
- 1Cream butter & sugar together until fluffy
- 2Add egg & vanilla. Beat well
- 3Sift dry ingredients & add to creamed mixture a bit at a time until completely blended. (Adding cornflour is optional but makes cake flour & helps shape of cookies)
- 4Cover & chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Roll out dough, on floured board, to about 6mm thick (thicker cookies will be softer, thinner crispier)
- 6Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters (dipped in flour).
- 7Bake on lined tray at 180 C for about 10 minutes.
- 8Make a paste of icing sugar (2 T) & water (1-2 tsp). Use this to glue on raisins, m&m's, lollies, sprinkles or coloured sugar (mix a drop or two of food colouring into white sugar & let dry a few hours)
Chocolate drops can be pressed into cookies before baking.
- 9For all over icing mix butter, icing sugar, vanilla (or flavouring of choice) with a little milk or water until it is a spreading consistency.
Pipe around edges of cookie before filling (gives a clean non-dribbling edge)