Cornmeal-Sage Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 2 2/3 c
- all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 3/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped green onions (1 green onion)
- 1 tsp
- finely snipped fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 3/4 c
- 1 1/4 c
- buttermilk (or sour milk)
- recipe sausage gravy
- 1 1/2 lb
- bulk pork sausage
- 1 c
- chopped onion (1 large)
- 1/4 c
- all-purpose flour
- 3 c
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 tsp
- snipped fresh thyme (optional)
How to Make Cornmeal-Sage Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- 2Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 3In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt, the 2 tablespoons green onion, and the sage.
Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
Add buttermilk all at once.
Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- 4Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together.
Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick.
Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter; reroll scraps as necessary.
Dip cutter into flour between cuts
- 5Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden.
Remove biscuits from baking sheet and cool slightly.
- 6SAUSAGE GRAVY
- 7In a very large skillet cook bulk pork sausage and chopped onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks.
Do not drain.
- 8Sprinkle all-purpose flour over meat mixture; stir into the meat mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While whisking, gradually add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- 9Season with salt and pepper. Stir in snipped fresh thyme, if desired.
Makes about 5 cups.
- 10To Serve:
Split biscuits and place on serving plates.
Top with Sausage Gravy.
If desired, top with additional green onions.
- 11TO MAKE AHEAD
- 12Prepare biscuits as directed; cool completely. Place biscuits in a resealable plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months.
- 13Prepare sausage gravy as directed.
Place in an airtight container; seal and chill for up to 48 hours.
- 14To serve, thaw biscuits at room temperature (allow about 2 hours).
If desired, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.
In a medium saucepan reheat sausage gravy over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
If necessary, stir in additional milk to make desired consistency.