10 ozall purpose flour
1 Tbspdouble acting baking powder
3/4 tspcream of tartar
4 Tbspbutter (almost frozen) cut in 8 pieces
1/2 call purpose flour, for forming
2 Tbspbutter, melted
1 1/2 cbuttermilk
How to Make Tender Melt In Your Mouth Biscuits
- Pre-heat oven 500 degrees
Cut 4 Tablespoons of butter in to 8 pieces and put in freezer for 15 minutes
Spray 9 inch cake pan w/non stick spray
Spray a 1/4 measuring cup with non stick spray inside and out
- Mix 10 oz. all purpose flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar, salt and combine well in cold mixing bowl
- Take the butter out of the freezer and cut into flour mixture with a cold pastry cutter. Cut in quickly, leaving pea size pieces of butter.
- Add buttermilk and stir with rubber spatula just until incorporated. (Dough will be wet, sticky and lumpy)
- In a sheet pan lined with foil, sift 1/2 cup flour until bottom is covered
- Take sprayed measuring cup (1/4) and scoop up dough and drop into floured sheet pan. There should be 12 biscuits.
- With floured hands, gently form biscuits into rough balls.
Shake off excess flour and place into prepared cake pan.
- Brush biscuits with melted butter and bake at 500 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake another 13 minutes.
- Serve hot with gravy or butter and jam.