Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 2 - 3 medium
- sweet potatoes, yielding 2 cups of packed flesh
- 4 c
- self rising flour
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
How to Make Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Take potatoes and pierce skin with a fork several times, and cook on high in microwave until flesh is tender and "syrupy." While still warm, scoop out 2 packed cups of flesh into a mixing bowl and completely blend in the buttermilk, brown sugar and spices with a hand mixer.
- 2Whisk flour and white sugar together in a second bowl. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture contains small "pea-size" pieces of butter.
- 3Add sweet potato mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring just until it comes together into a soft dough. (Add more buttermilk a little at a time if necessary).
- 4Turn out on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about 3/4" thickness. Cut out biscuits and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. (Or if cooking outdoors, lightly grease the bottom of a #14 Dutch oven, preheat it to 425 - 450 degrees F, and then place biscuits in the bottom. Watch closely to keep from burning the bottoms of the biscuits).
- 5Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.