Sesame Orange Scones
Daily Inspiration S
1/2 csesame seeds
3 Tbspgrated orange zest
3 cunsifted all-purpose flour
3 Tbsplight brown sugar
1 Tbspbaking powder
3/4 cvegetable shortening (or butter)
1 corange juice
3 Tbspgranulated sugar
How to Make Sesame Orange Scones
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking sheet. Set aside 1 tbsp. sesame seeds and 1 tbsp. orange zest. In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sesame seeds, orange zest, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 tbsp. orange juice. Add remaining orange juice to dry ingredients and mix lightly with fork until mixture clings together and forms a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Divide dough in half. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half of dough into a 7 inch round. Cut into 4 wedges. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Place scones, 1 inch apart, on the greased baking sheet. Pierce tops with tines of a fork. In a small saucepan, heat reserved orange juice and the granulated sugar to boiling; stir in reserved orange rind and brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle with reserved sesame seeds.
- Bake scones 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.