How to Make Scones
- Preheat oven to 425 and place rack at top.
- Sift flour into a bowl and cut in butter. Add salt. Mix in milk, a little at at time. Knead lightly to a soft dough, adding more milk if necessary.
- Roll out to one finger thick on a floured board. Cut with pastry cutter but do not twist.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet 12-15 minutes.
- For Brown scones: Substitute one cup of whole wheat flour for one cup of all-purpose flour.
- For Fruit scones: Add 1 T confectioner's sugar and 2 T dried fruit before adding the milk.