Savory Biscuits or Dumpling Suggestions
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·measure out dry ingredients for your favorite biscuit or dumpling recipe
·add minced onion, or shredded cheese of your choice
·or add to taste garlic powder, ground black pepper
·and/or fresh or dried parsley, oregano, cilantro, italian seasoning
·anything you like, any combination, add a tsp or two to the dry mix
How to Make Savory Biscuits or Dumpling Suggestions
- Once you have added your selection of savory dry ingredients to your preferred biscuit or dumpling dry ingredients, stir them in with a pastry blender.
- Add your shortening, I prefer using the Crisco Butter Flavor kind that comes in sticks, to a homemade recipe, and blend the shortening into the dry mix until you have the mixture well blended. Add whatever shredded cheese if you are using cheese [no rule says it has to be cheddar, and whatever fresh seasonings like fresh oregano or parsley, cilantro, minced onions, etc. Gently stir those ingredients into the dry mix with a spoon [I use a wooden mixing spoon].
- Add required milk or water amount in stages as you mix that in with the spoon. *Note* if using water, feel free to use chicken or beef flavored water from a bouillon cube melted in 1 C boiling water and allowed to cool to room temp. If that 'broth' is too strong or salty tasting, water it down until it's where you want it and add the appropriate amount to your recipe mixture.
- If using 'broth' do not add salt to the dry mix. Most recipes I don't add salt to, depending on what other ingredients I'm using.
- Follow the rest of your recipe steps to roll out biscuits to cut and bake, or use a teaspoon [eating type] to break off gently about 1 tsp chunks of the dumpling mixture without 'squashing' it as you drop the mixture into the boiling broth or soup/stew mixture in the pan.
- The results are delicious, and always a surprise! That said, I make semi-sweet biscuit for Strawberry Shortcake. I add a stingy 1/4 C sugar as we don't need all that extra sugar. Now if you wanted to make an apple or other fruit shortcake topping, or use pie filling, you can add a little cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, ginger...whatever you like, to the dry ingredients for the semi-sweet biscuits. :)