Meme's Tea Biscuits Made Easy
Although Wal Mart sells a frozen tea biscuit which is very similar in taste, Meme's Tea Biscuits are better. On a 1 to 10 scale, Mary B's Tea Biscuits rank an 8 and Meme's rank a 10.
I admit Mary B's are very handy to use, but some people still prefer homemade bread and biscuits so I hope you enjoy this simple recipe. It is actually a very old recipe which can not be improved.
FYI (I just thought of something ironic pertaining to this old tried and true never fail tea biscuit recipe)My grandmother's name was Mary and the lady who taught her how to make these tea biscuits was named Sue B. Did Wal Mart's Mary B. ever sample these better than Mary B's tea biscuits? If so, Mary B has to be disappointed in her own inferior recipe.)
I can usually make approximately 24 small biscuits with this recipe. Diane Smith made 16 biscuits with this recipe. See Diane's tea biscuits pictured.
- 2 c
- plain flour (leveled)
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- heaping teaspoons of baking powder
- level tablespoons of crisco shortening
- cup (or slightly less) of buttermilk
How to Make Meme's Tea Biscuits Made Easy
- 1Preheat oven @ 425
Sift first 4 ingredients together making sure to mix all thoroughly.
- 2Add your Crisco shortening, blending into flour mixture very well.
- 3Add buttermilk, slowly while blending well; kneed in bowl for a few minutes minutes.
- 4Sprinkle work area and rolling pin with flour,roll and cut your dough to make tea biscuits using a cookie or biscuit cutter.
- 5Apply Baker's Joy to cookie sheet; place tea biscuits on cookie sheet approximately 1/2 inch apart.
- 6Bake 10 to 12 minutes or til light golden brown. (Don't be intimidated by this recipe. You can make these if you really aren't a bread baker.)
This recipe makes many tea biscuits (they should be about the same size as Mary B's) Also, they are very delicious the next day cut open, buttered and then toasted. Offer them with apple jelly or your favorite jelly. Your family will be so impressed with your very own homemade tea biscuits and you will too.