How to Make Mama's Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- 3Cut the chilled shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- 4Add the buttermilk, mixing with your hands until the dough holds together.
- 5Place the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly a few times just until smooth. Don't overwork it.
- 6Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 7Cut the biscuits with a biscuit cutter. ( My mama used a glass to do this.)
- 8Place the biscuits 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 9Gather the trimmings from where you cut the biscuits and form them into a ball.
- 10Roll it out and cut more biscuits. ( When these got to small to make another biscuit my mama left the last weird shaped one and called it the funny biscuit. All the kids wanted that one.
- 11Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.