Love Me Tender Biscuits
- 1 1/2 c
- cake flour, bob's red mill is a good one
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 3/8 tsp
- kosher salt
- 2 tsp
- 3 1/2 Tbsp
- cold butter, unsalted, cut in pats
- 1/2 c
- buttermilk, or a little more, as needed
- 1 large
- egg yolk, beaten
- 2-3 Tbsp
- cake flour
- softened unsalted butter for brushing tops of biscuits
How to Make Love Me Tender Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Place 1 1/2 cups cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and stir with a fork to mix well.
- 3Add the butter pats and mix into the flour mix with a pastry blender until a coarse meal is achieved.
- 4Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and egg yolk and mix with a fork. The dough should come together. If it seems too dry, add a little more buttermilk, until the dough starts to come together.
- 5Turn out on a board that is floured with the 2-3 tablespoons of cake flour. Knead 12-15 times, incorporating a bit of flour with each turn. Discard excess flour.
- 6Gather dough and form a ball. Press down with fingers/palms to make a 7 1/2 inch circle. Cut in 8ths. These biscuits are scone shaped.
- 7Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet, leaving room to spread out. Brush tops of biscuits with some softened butter. Bake for 12-14 minutes in the center of oven.
- 8Makes 8 good sized biscuits. Serve hot from the oven. These biscuits reheat better than others I have tried.