Love Me Tender Biscuits
1 1/2 ccake flour, bob's red mill is a good one
1 Tbspbaking powder
3/8 tspkosher salt
3 1/2 Tbspcold butter, unsalted, cut in pats
1/2 cbuttermilk, or a little more, as needed
1 largeegg yolk, beaten
2-3 Tbspcake flour
·softened unsalted butter for brushing tops of biscuits
How to Make Love Me Tender Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place 1 1/2 cups cake flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and stir with a fork to mix well.
- Add the butter pats and mix into the flour mix with a pastry blender until a coarse meal is achieved.
- Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and egg yolk and mix with a fork. The dough should come together. If it seems too dry, add a little more buttermilk, until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn out on a board that is floured with the 2-3 tablespoons of cake flour. Knead 12-15 times, incorporating a bit of flour with each turn. Discard excess flour.
- Gather dough and form a ball. Press down with fingers/palms to make a 7 1/2 inch circle. Cut in 8ths. These biscuits are scone shaped.
- Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet, leaving room to spread out. Brush tops of biscuits with some softened butter. Bake for 12-14 minutes in the center of oven.
- Makes 8 good sized biscuits. Serve hot from the oven. These biscuits reheat better than others I have tried.