HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
How to Make HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
- Combine self-rising flour and shortening. Cut the shortening into the self-rising flour with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk, mix dough with a fork just until incorporated. Do not mix it anymore than necessary. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured cutting board or counter. Knead by gently folding the dough over onto itself 6 to 8 times.
- Roll out with a rolling pin into a cicle that's 1-inch thick. Cut out the biscuits using a 2 to 3 inch cutter. Re-form scrape dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting out biscuits until all dough has been used.
- Place bis cuits on baking sheet, so that they just barely touch. Bake in the preheated 500 degrees oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Then take out of oven and brush with melted butter.