Home Style Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 c
- all purpose flour, sifted
- 5 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- shortening (can use butter flavor if desired)
- 1 c
- 3 Tbsp
- melted butter or margarine (for brushing on top)
How to Make Home Style Baking Powder Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening until it is of a coarse mealy consistency.
- 2Add milk a little at a time, stirring in to blend with the flour mixture. Turn out onto a floured cutting board. Knead 5 or 6 times. Roll out or press by hand to about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Using a metal biscuit cutter (** see note below), cut biscuits and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Take dough scraps and gently work it to cut as many biscuits as you can make.
- 3Brush the tops with melted butter or margarine. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned on top. Best to serve hot out of the oven!
- 4Note: If you don't have a biscuit or cookie cutter, just use the lid from a mayonnaise jar or even a coffee cup. Works really well! Also, watch your oven while these bake. Some ovens are hotter than others. Usually, these will be nicely browned in 15 minutes in MY oven...You may need a minute or two more or less....
(**Note) I also heard on the new show "The Chew" that when you are cutting biscuits, it is best to use a metal cutter... For some reason they say the biscuits rise better! Who knew?!! :-)
Bon Apetit' Y'all!!