How to Make Grandma's Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a cast iron skillet. I put a small dab of shortening into skillet and let get warm in oven while preparing biscuits.
- In large bowl pour 2 cups self-rising flour. Add 1/4 cup shortening and either with your hands or a fork mix through until flour mixture looks like corn mill. (very fine looking)
- Begin pouring buttermilk and mix with hands until mix starts to pull away from bowl. NOT RUNNY, but will be sticky. Sometimes it takes a little more buttermilk.
- Put some flour on your counter and your hands. Being to knead dough. Once kneaded ( i usually knead for about a minute) Roll dough until about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Remove skillet from oven. WILL BE VERY HOT.
- Flour the opening of a cup and cut out your biscuits and place in skillet.
- Bake until goldne borwn on top. About 10 minutes.
- ENJOY with some homemade gravy or honey or jam!