How to Make Grandma's Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a cast iron skillet. I put a small dab of shortening into skillet and let get warm in oven while preparing biscuits.
- 2In large bowl pour 2 cups self-rising flour. Add 1/4 cup shortening and either with your hands or a fork mix through until flour mixture looks like corn mill. (very fine looking)
- 3Begin pouring buttermilk and mix with hands until mix starts to pull away from bowl. NOT RUNNY, but will be sticky. Sometimes it takes a little more buttermilk.
- 4Put some flour on your counter and your hands. Being to knead dough. Once kneaded ( i usually knead for about a minute) Roll dough until about a 1/4 inch thick.
- 5Remove skillet from oven. WILL BE VERY HOT.
- 6Flour the opening of a cup and cut out your biscuits and place in skillet.
- 7Bake until goldne borwn on top. About 10 minutes.
- 8ENJOY with some homemade gravy or honey or jam!