Flakey Buttermilk Biscuits
How to Make Flakey Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 400°. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- 2Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Roll dough into a (½ inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Re-roll dough into a (½ inch-thick) 9 x 5–inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll or pat to a ¾ inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 ¾ inch biscuit cutter to form 14 dough rounds.
- 4Place dough rounds, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.
- 5You can omit the multiple folding which will take a lot of the flakiness out. You would simply pat the dough out to 1 inch and cut it out and place on baking sheet. You can also brush each layer with melted butter instead of dusting with flour for buttery layers.