How to Make Crisco Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Get a baking stone or biscuit pan. This does not have to be greased.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Cut in crisco with a pastry cutter until well blended. Stir in buttermilk until it forms a soft ball of dough that pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Turn dough out on floured surface or into a bread bowl dusted with a little flour. Knead gently 5-6 strokes. Do not work in too much flour. Keep dough light. Do not overwork. Roll out to a minimum of 1/2" thick. Cut biscuits with sharp cutter.
- Place biscuits on baking stone or in pan, with sides just barely touching. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until browned and risen up high. Remove from oven and IMMEDIATELY cover with a clean towel so biscuits steam themselves. This makes them softer. Serve with butter, jam, honey, or sorghum.
- NOTE: I just read that if you want your biscuits to be more brown on the top, brush them with a little butter or cream before baking.