April's Perfect Layered Biscuits
How to Make April's Perfect Layered Biscuits
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal.
- If using a food processor, just pulse a few times will only take 3 or 4 pulses.
- Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. VERY IMPORTANT! over mixing will kill the biscuit.
- If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be wet.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and Gently, gently PAT the dough out (do NOT roll with a rolling pin)until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 4 times, gently press the dough with fingertips to flatten to make it about 1 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits out with a biscuit cutter or cup.
You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones. So try and get as many biscuits as you can out of the first round.
- Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other.
If you like "crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom. Careful not to overbake.
- The key to making delicious biscuits is to not overmix, and to touch them with your hands the least amount possible..using a food processor will help to keep you from over mixing, and when you do touch them, use your fingertips instead of your palm because the palm is warmer than the fingers. Also use very very cold ingredients.