April's Perfect Layered Biscuits
How to Make April's Perfect Layered Biscuits
- 1Preheat your oven to 350.
- 2Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- 3Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal.
- 4If using a food processor, just pulse a few times will only take 3 or 4 pulses.
- 5Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. VERY IMPORTANT! over mixing will kill the biscuit.
- 6If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be wet.
- 7Turn the dough out onto a floured board and Gently, gently PAT the dough out (do NOT roll with a rolling pin)until it's about 1/2" thick. Fold the dough about 4 times, gently press the dough with fingertips to flatten to make it about 1 inch thick.
- 8Cut biscuits out with a biscuit cutter or cup.
You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones. So try and get as many biscuits as you can out of the first round.
- 9Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other.
If you like "crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.
- 10Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom. Careful not to overbake.
- 11The key to making delicious biscuits is to not overmix, and to touch them with your hands the least amount possible..using a food processor will help to keep you from over mixing, and when you do touch them, use your fingertips instead of your palm because the palm is warmer than the fingers. Also use very very cold ingredients.