Ultimate Grilled Poppers
- 1 pkg
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp
- snipped chives
- 1 c
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 13-15 slice
- bacon (enough for at least 1 to each jalapeno)
- 1/2 c
- diced ham or lil smokey sausages (optional addition for those meat lovers out there!)
- 1/2 c
- sweet barbecue sauce (our preference is sweet baby ray's honey bbq)
How to Make Ultimate Grilled Poppers
- 1Rinse the jalapenos and cut the tops off. Slice them in half and clean the insides and seeds out. Set aside to dry.
- 2In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chives and if you choose, ham/sausage. Place in refrigerator to firm, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
While the cheese mixture is firming, soak a handful of toothpicks in water.
- 3Once the cheese mixture is firmed, spoon into the halved jalapenos and wrap with a slice of bacon so it is covered. Skewer with a toothpick to hold bacon in place.
Place on a hot grill, cheese side up, with indirect heat. Lightly brush with barbecue sauce and close. Cook until bacon crisps up and is done, can take up to 20 minutes. Brush with barbecue sauce again and cook a few minutes more.
Preheat to 400 degrees. Place on a foil covered baking sheet or broiler pan. Lightly brush with barbecue sauce. Cook until bacon is done. Turn off oven and brush with barbecue sauce again. Leave in oven for a few more minutes.
- 5Plate and serve!