The BEST Fried Green Tomatoes
1/2 call purpose flour
1/2 cself-rising buttermilk corn meal
1/2 cpanko bread crumbs
·salt to taste
·cayenne pepper if desired
How to Make The BEST Fried Green Tomatoes
- Pick several green tomatoes from your garden (or local farmer's market). Slice tomatoes approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Set aside. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil. A deep fryer will work as well.
- Mix together dry ingredients...flour, corn meal (I used self-rising) and panko bread crumbs. Add a pinch of salt and cracked black pepper. This is also where I add about 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper...this is entirely up to the chef to use or not depending on your family's preference.
- Mix wet ingredients...crack 1 egg in bowl. Mix with milk. Whisk together.
- Bathe tomato slices in egg mixture. Then dredge in flour mixture.
- Transfer tomatoes from dry mixture to oil with caution. Fry each side until it lightly browns (about 3 minutes each side for 1/4 inch thickness) then transfer to papertowel. Blot the remaining oil off the tomatoes and lightly season with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
- My family enjoys eating these with Ranch dressing.