Texas Armadillo Eggs
24fresh, medium jalapeno peppers
1 1/2 lbhot pork sausage
1 Tbspgarlic salt
2 lbmonterey jack or cheddar cheese, cubed
·bread crumbs for coating
How to Make Texas Armadillo Eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Trim off the stems of each pepper. Cut a slit down one side of each pepper. Remove the seeds and as much of the white membrane as possible. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sausage, Bisquick and garlic salt. Mix well (by hand is easiest).
- Gently insert one or two cubes of the cheese into each jalapeno.
- Pinch off a portion of the sausage mixture and shape it around each jalapeno, covering it completely but don't make too thick. Make into egg shape.
- Roll each "egg" in bread crumbs to coat.
- Arrange the "eggs" evenly on a prepared (sprayed with cookng spray)cookie sheet. Spray "eggs" lightly with cooking spray and bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned.