2 lbfresh spinach, trimmed of thick stems, well washed
1medium onion , roughly chopped
3eggs lightly beaten
1 cgrated gruyere cheese
1 cbread cumbs
1/4 tspblack pepper
1 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
How to Make Spinach Croquettes
- place spinach and onion in a pot of salted boiling water and boil one minute until spinach wilts.drain thoroughly
- cool, squeeze spinach and chop.
- mix spinach/onion with eggs, bread crumbs and grated cheese. add salt and pepper and mix again
- form each into a scant 1/4 cup croquette patties. approximately 16
- let stand 5 or 10 minutes, or cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight or several hours. (let come to room temperature before frying)
- place oil and butter in large skillet over medium high heat. in batches so crouquettes don't touch, adjust heat and brown without burning about 3 to 4 minutes, turn and brown the other side.
- continue untill all croquettes are cooked. can be cooked ahead and kept warm in a low oven 250 degrees.
- PER PIECE: 99 calories; 5 g.fat; 6 g.protein; 8 g.carbohydrates; 1g fiber