Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
I never got her recipe, but I improvised my own which I serve at parties and family get-togethers. Some folks won't eat mushrooms (to their great misfortune!), but those who do fall all over this dish.
- 1 lb
- ground hot sausage (Jimmy Dean, Tennessee Pride, etc.)
- 1 pkg
- fresh button (white) mushrooms (8 oz.)
- 3/4 c
- water, as needed
- 1/2 c
- breadcrumbs (I prefer Italian style)
- 1/4 c
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 medium
- clove of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt pinch
- as needed
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1Remove the stems from mushrooms. Some will pop out of the caps easily. Others may require removal with a small paring knife.
- 2Apply oil to a medium baking dish and coat. Place caps (stem side up) in the dish forming a series of small cups with the caps. Evenly distribute. Don't worry about gaps in between. Just evenly space.
- 3Mince mushroom stems.
- 4Brown sausage in a medium skillet with garlic. Drain.
- 5Place sausage back into skillet on medium heat. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, mushroom stems, garlic and slowly add water as this mixture cooks. Reduce heat and cover. You want the cheese to melt and for the concoction to have the texture of a thick paste. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Should take about 15 minutes.
- 6Spoon mixture into open mushroom caps. Take the leftover mixture and fill in the gaps.
- 7Place in preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake approximately 40 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Serve and enjoy!