Roasted Tomato Pizza Poppers
- roasted cherry tomatoes, recipe follows
- 2 loaves frozen pizza dough, thawed. 1 lb. each
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
- 12 to 14 oz. deli sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese, cut into 2 inch pieces
- small fresh basil leaves, optional
How to Make Roasted Tomato Pizza Poppers
- 1Prepare roasted cherry tomatoes. meanwhile, on lightly floured surface, roll pizza dough one loaf at a time into a 15 x 12 inch rectangle. if dough becomes difficult to roll, cover and let rest occasionally. Cover dough loosely and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 450. Using a 2 to 2 1/2 inch round cutter, cut circles from dough. Discard trimmings. Put dough rounds on lightly greased baking sheets. In small bowl, mix oil, oregano, and basil; brush over both sides of each dough round. Prick rounds all over with a fork.
- 3Bake dough rounds on baking sheets for 7 minutes; turn and top with cheese. Return to oven and bake 2 minutes more. Keep warm til ready to serve. Repeat with remaining dough rounds and cheese.
- 4Top each round with a spoonful of roasted cherry tomatoes. if desired, garnish with basil leaves. Serve warm. or at room temperature.
- 5Roasted Cherry Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 450. In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, mix 2 pints red and/or yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved; 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced, 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp. dried fresh oregano, crushed, or 1 tsp snipped fresh oregano. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes or til tomatoes are wilted, stirring occasionally.