Peggi's Bread & Butter Pickles
Peggi Anne Tebben
·about 12 long cucumbers, sliced about 1/8" thick
·2 small onions, cut in rings, then sliced in half
·1 green bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half
·1 red bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half
·1 yellow bell pepper, cut in rings, then sliced in half,
·note* i just bought one of those bags of small bell peppers & used most of them
·9 t. canning salt
PICKLING SOLUTION: BRING JUST TO A BOIL, THEN COOL COMPLETELY.
·4 c. white vinegar
·5 c. sugar
·2 t. celery seeds
·2 t. mustard seeds
How to Make Peggi's Bread & Butter Pickles
- Place cucumbers, peppers & onions in large bowl that isn't aluminum.
- Cover with salt & stir well.
- Put enough ice water on this just to cover, but not to where it is packed tight.
- Place plate on top of this to keep the veggies under the water.
- Let set on counter for 4 hours.
- While waiting, make solution & set aside to cool.
- Drain & rinse cucumber mixture after 4 hours & place in jars, but don't pack tightly.
- Pour cooled solution over these, using long plastic canning thingy to go around inside of jar, up against the glass, to remove all air bubbles.
- These should be ready in 24 hours.