Onions Au Gratin with Parmesan and sherry
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1/2 cu dry sherry or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano, 4 oz
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- toasted baguette slices
How to Make Onions Au Gratin with Parmesan and sherry
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Melt butter in large cast iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onions, stirring til slightly softened; cover and cook til completely softened, 10 minutes.
- 2Add sherry, thyme, and bay leaves; increase heat to medium high. Saute, uncovered, til liquid evaporates and onions are browning, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Mix Parmigiano Reggiano and Gruyere, then stir 1/2 cup of cheese mixture into onion mixture. top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake til cheese is bubbly and browned, about 20 minutes.
- 4Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Sprinkle olives over onions and let cool slightly. serve onions au grating with baguette slices.