Onions au Gratin with Parmesan and sherry
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 8 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan reggiano, 4 oz
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- toasted baguette slices
How to Make Onions au Gratin with Parmesan and sherry
- 1Preheat oven to 400. Melt butter in large cast iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onions, stirring til slightly softened; cover and cook til completely softened, 10 minutes
- 2Add sherry, thyme and bay leaves; increase heat to medium high. Saute, uncovered, til liquid evaporates and onions are browning, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Mix the Parmigiano Reggiano and Gruyere, then stir 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture into onion mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake til cheese is bubbly and browned, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Sprinkle olives over onions and let cool slightly. Serve Onions au Gratin with baguette slices.