Haitian Accra Fritters
Peggy Joseph Shabazz El-Bey
1 cblack eyed peas (not dried)
1 tspsalt to taste
1 tspblack pepper to taste
1shallot or 1/2 onion
1/4green bell pepper
1scotch bonnet pepper (habanero pepper)
1/2 tspbaking powder
2 cvegetable oil
How to Make Haitian Accra Fritters
- Grate the malanga to make 2 cups.
- In a blender, mix the black eyed peas, 1/2 cup water, salt, black pepper, scallion, shallot or onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and scotch bonnet pepper until it's the same consistency as the grated malanga.
- In a bowl, mix the malanga with the black eye pea mixture. Mix in the beaten egg. Mix the flour and baking powder until you get a nice consistency.
- Heat the oil on high heat until very hot.
- Drop in a tablespoonful of the mixture in the hot oil.
- Do not turn to the other side until the fritter is very dark brown.
- While frying, scoop out any extra mix that breaks away from the batter in the hot oil, so it does not clutter or burn the oil.
- When both sides of the fritter are very dark brown. scoop out of oil and Drain on a paper towel.