Fried Vegetable Appetizer
Gia Peterkin Trower
How to Make Fried Vegetable Appetizer
- 1Slice skin off eggplant leaving some skin and slice thin about 1/8". Lighthly salt the eggplant and let sit and cook last. Peel and slice sweet potatoes about the same width. Slice zucchini lengthwise, green tomatoes and pepper strips.
- 2Mix the buttermilk with the egg in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the flour with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- 3Heat a skillet with oil (cast iron is best). Dip the veges (except the sweet potato and eggplant) in the buttermilk, then dredge in the flour shaking off excess. I don't use the buttermilk on the sweet potato and eggplant. The sweet potatoes are just cut and sauteed, and the eggplant is just lightly coated in the flour and sauteed.
- 4Fry all the veges until golden brown on each side. When you cook the sweet potatoes and eggplant, pierce each side while cooking with a fork so that they will cook through.
- 5Place cooked vegetables on paper towel, then arrange on a platter or dish.
- 6Note: You can also use broccoli, cauliflower, okra, red peppers or just about any vegetable to make this dish.
The picture of this dish (from left to right) are green tomatoes, zucchini (top) green pepper strips (bottom) sweet potatoes, and eggplant.