Cucumber Spice Rings
2 gallarge whole cucumbers (ok to use the yellowing ones)
2 cpickling lime
8 1/2 qtwater
1 cwhite vinegar
1small bottle red food coloring
1 (1.5 oz. pkgred hots cinnamon candy
How to Make Cucumber Spice Rings
- Wash and peel the cucumbers. Take an apple corer and remove the seeds from center of cucumbers. Cut into 1/2-inch slices. You will have circles that resemble doughnuts.
- Mix lime and 8 1/2 qts. water, then pour over cucumbers and soak 24 hours. Drain and wash well with clean water.
- Cover cucumbers in clean, cool water and soak 3 hours, then drain off water. In large pot combine the cucumbers, vinegar, food coloring, alum and enough water to cover cucumbers. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours. Drain and discard water.
- Mix cinnamon sticks, 5 cups water, sugar and candy and bring to a boil. Pour mixture over cucumbers. Bring this mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and soak overnight.
- Remove rings and put in jars with 4 clove sticks in each clean jar. Bring syrup mixture to a boil and cover rings in jars with it leaving 1/2 inch head space. Make sure top of jar rim is clean and dry. Put lids and rings on and tighten slightly.
- Place jars in water bath and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Careflly remove jars from water and tighten rings on lids. Cool. Store in a cool dark place.
- Makes 16 pints.