- 7 lb
- cucumbers, halved, peeled, seeded and sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 c
- pickling lime
- 1 large
- bottle red food coloring
- 1 tsp
- water to cover
- 2 c
- 7 c
- 8 stick
- 1 small
- package cinnamon red hots (candy)
How to Make Cinnamon Pickles
- 1Soak prepared cucumbers in lime mixed with 1 gallon of water for 24 hours. Drain and rinse with ice water. Cover and let stand for 3 hours draining on an old sheet.
- 2Mix 1 cup vinegar, food coloring, alum and enough water to cover and simmer for 2 hours. Drain and throw away.
- 3Mix 2 cups vinegar and 2 cups water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, and red hots. Pour over cucumbers and let stand for 24 hours.
- 4Drain and save liquid. Bring liquid to a rolling boil. Pack cucumbers in jars and fill with boiling liquid. Seal jars and process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.