Black Bean Cakes w/sour cream sauce
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 cchicken broth
1 1/2 cyellow cornmeal
4 ccooked or canned and drained black beans
1 tsppepper (or more to taste)
1 Tbsphot sauce (may adjust to taste)
2 Tbspcooking oil
1-2 Tbspminced garlic
1/4 cfinely chopped white onion (optional)
·oil for frying
How to Make Black Bean Cakes w/sour cream sauce
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan, when it comes to a boil add the cornmeal and stir quickly to saturate the meal, you may add a bit of water if it needs it but it should be like a thick paste.
- Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes and careful not to scorch it. Take it off the stove and put it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil for frying and combine everything until well mixed.
- Shape into patties (you may work with the size but dont make them too large or they are hard to flip over without breaking them during cooking. I usually make them about 2 inches across. (dampening your hands makes them easier to shape)
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan to coat bottom nicely and place patties into hot grease, fry on both sides until golden brown, remove from oil and drain on a paper towel while you fry the rest. You may have to add more oil during this process.
- Serve them immediately with sour cream and or salsa