Black Bean Cakes w/sour cream sauce
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 1/2 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 4 c
- cooked or canned and drained black beans
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- hot sauce (may adjust to taste)
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 1-2 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped white onion (optional)
- oil for frying
How to Make Black Bean Cakes w/sour cream sauce
- 1Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan, when it comes to a boil add the cornmeal and stir quickly to saturate the meal, you may add a bit of water if it needs it but it should be like a thick paste.
- 2Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes and careful not to scorch it. Take it off the stove and put it in a large mixing bowl.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil for frying and combine everything until well mixed.
- 4Shape into patties (you may work with the size but dont make them too large or they are hard to flip over without breaking them during cooking. I usually make them about 2 inches across. (dampening your hands makes them easier to shape)
- 5Heat enough oil in a frying pan to coat bottom nicely and place patties into hot grease, fry on both sides until golden brown, remove from oil and drain on a paper towel while you fry the rest. You may have to add more oil during this process.
- 6Serve them immediately with sour cream and or salsa