Basic Vegetarian Sushi
1 cwhite rice (or sushi rice, if you can get it)
2 cwater (or as needed according to sushi rice package)
3 Tbsprice wine vinegar
2 Tbspgranulated sugar
4 sheet(s)nori (dried seaweed)
1 mediumcarrot, julienned and cut into 2-inch strips
1 mediumpeeled cucumber, quartered and cut into 2-inch strips
1 smallred pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1 mediumavocado, peeled and cut into thin strips
·soy sauce, for serving
·wasabi paste, for serving
·pickled ginger, for serving
How to Make Basic Vegetarian Sushi
- Start by preparing your rice. Rinse rice in a fine mesh strainer until your water runs clear. Then add to a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Once it boils reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is completely absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done, remove pan from heat and stir in the cooled vinegar mixture, being careful to not over-mix. It will appear wet but will begin to dry as you lightly stir to release heat. It should be sticky and completely dry once it’s ready.
- In the meantime, prepare your veggies by chopping them into thin pieces. If they’re too bulky they won’t allow the sushi to roll well.
- Fold a clean towel into a rectangle and place it on a flat surface. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the towel. Then place a sheet of nori, rough side up, centered over the plastic wrap. Dip your hands in water (to avoid sticking), and pat a very thin, even layer of rice over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick or your roll will be all rice and no filling. Then arrange the veggies in a line at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you.
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies are covered, roll over the plastic wrap and towel, using it to mold and compress the roll. Continue until it’s all the way rolled up. Repeat with the remaining 3 nori sheets, rice, and veggies.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each roll into 8 pieces, and place on a serving dish with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasbi paste (for dipping).