- 12 slice
- white sandwich bread
- 1 pkg
- whipped cream cheese
- fresh asparagus spears (or canned spears)
- crumbled bacon bits (if you use store bought, use real bacon bits, not the crispy salad topping stuff)
- melted butter
- parmesan cheese
How to Make Asparagus-Bacon Rollups
- 1Cook the asparagus spears, drain and cool (I suggest steaming-it's faster).
- 2Meanwhile, use a rolling pin to flatten out the bread-cut off the crusts after you have rolled over the bread-this gives an uptown finish to the rollups.
- 3Spread the cream cheese over the bread slices, sprinkle bacon bits over this, add the asparagus spear and roll jellyroll style. Cut each slice in half, place on cookie sheet, brush each roll with butter and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- 4Bake in preheated 400 degree oven until the parmesan has a golden glow. This should take about 5-8 minutes, but watch closely so the rolls do not get "overglowed". You could also broil 6 inches from broiler until lightly toasted.
- 5BONUS: These rolls can be made up early in the day (or even the night before) and refrigerated until ready to pop in the oven.
- 6NOTE: Although you can use canned asparagus, I really don't recommend it. It's mushy and an unappetizing color. I like to buy bacon crumbles because it's cheaper for me than buying bacon, cooking it and crumbling it (also a time saver!)