Shrimp & Grits Canapes
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 cstone ground grits
2 cchicken stock or water
·salt and pepper, to taste
1whole large scallion or 3 small scallions, minced
2 Tbspfresh parsley, minced
4 ozcream cheese
2 oztasso ham (see notes)
24 mediumshrimp peeled and deveined
1 Tbspcajun seasoning (to season shrimp)
12chive stems, halved
How to Make Shrimp & Grits Canapes
- In a small sauce pan with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat, bring 2 cups of water or chicken stock and grits to a boil, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add parsley and scallions, place lid on pan and continue to simmer the grits until they are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to broil and while the oven is preheating, place a baking sheet inside to heat with the oven. In a small bowl, coat the shrimp in Cajun seasoning. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and, in a single layer, add the shrimp. Place the pan back in the oven and broil the shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until their color changes and they start to curl. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now turn the oven down to 400° F. With non-stick cooking spray, coat the mini muffin tin(s). Fill each tin about half way full with the grits mixture. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. Remove from the oven and cool. After cooled, remove from tins.
- In a food processor, grind tasso ham until finely chopped. Next add the cream cheese and blend into the ham creating a mousse.
- To assemble, place a dollop of tasso ham mousse on top of each grit cake and top with one roasted shrimp. Garnish with a chive, optional.
- Note: Tasso ham is just a smoked ham piece slathered in cajun seasonings. If Tasso ham is unavailable in your area, you can purchase a small piece of smoked ham and grind it with Cajun seasoning to create the spicy mousse.