Portuguese Steamed Clams
- 5 lb
- clams in shell, scrubbed
- 1 1/2 lb
- portuguese chourico or linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 large
- onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 can(s)
- (14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 2 c
- white wine
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
How to Make Portuguese Steamed Clams
- 1Wash clams well in a sink of cold water. Discard any clams that are already opened.
- 2In a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid, place the cleaned clams.
- 3Add the sausage, onion, tomatoes, wine, garlic and red pepper.
- 4Cover and set over high heat; Steam until all the clams open up. Be sure to shake the pan often to insure even heat.
- 5Drizzle olive oil over the cooked clams. Evenly divide all the ingredients into warm soup plates.
- 6Divide the broth into side cups for dipping.