Portuguese Steamed Clams
5 lbclams in shell, scrubbed
1 1/2 lbportuguese chourico or linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
1 largeonion, cut into thin wedges
1 can(s)(14 1/2 ounce) diced tomatoes
2 cwhite wine
3 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 tspcrushed red pepper flakes
1/4 colive oil
How to Make Portuguese Steamed Clams
- Wash clams well in a sink of cold water. Discard any clams that are already opened.
- In a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid, place the cleaned clams.
- Add the sausage, onion, tomatoes, wine, garlic and red pepper.
- Cover and set over high heat; Steam until all the clams open up. Be sure to shake the pan often to insure even heat.
- Drizzle olive oil over the cooked clams. Evenly divide all the ingredients into warm soup plates.
- Divide the broth into side cups for dipping.