Peter Canlis Shrimp
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
2 Tbspolive oil
12 largeshrimp (about 16 per pound), peeled, deveined, shells reserved for shrimp butter below
1 tspdreid red pepper flakes
2 tspchopped garlic
2 tspfreshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cdry vermouth
1/4 cbutter for shrimp butter below
·mesclun, mixed young salad greens, for garnish
How to Make Peter Canlis Shrimp
- HEAT THE OLIVE OIL in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and just beginning to smoke.
- Add the shrimp and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side, and then pour off any oil remaining in the pan.
- Add, in this order, the red pepper flakes, garlic, lime juice, and vermouth, and then simmer to reduce the liquid by half, 1 to 2 minutes, shaking the pan gently.
- Add the butter, take the pan from the heat, and swirl the pan to gently melt the butter and incorporate it into the pan juices.
- SPOON THE SHRIMP and the butter sauce onto individual plates, garnish with a small mound of mesclun, and serve immediately.
To make shrimp butter, melt 1/2 cup unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add the shells from the shrimp and cook until the shrimp shells are deep red and the butter is quite aromatic, about 10 minutes. Strain the butter to remove the shells, and then chill. Keep the butter cold until just before adding it to the cooked shrimp.