John's Clams Casino
1/2 cbacon, diced fine
1 1/2 Tbspwhite wine, dry
1/4 cred bell pepper, diced fine
2 Tbspshallots, minced
1 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 cbread crumbs, dry
1 Tbspparmesan cheese
·lemon wedges (optional)
How to Make John's Clams Casino
- Partially steam clams just to get them to open (about 2 mins). Carefully shuck clams (remove top shell)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add bacon to pan, cooking until bacon begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine. Cook until liquid evaporates (about 30 seconds), scraping to loosen browned bits.
- Add bell pepper, shallots & garlic to pan. Cook 4 mins or until tender. Place mixture in a medium bowl.
- Add breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley & black pepper to bacon mixture. Stir until blended.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil.
- Take a very sharp knife and make 2 small slits across each clam. Drizzle with a little clam juice to keep them from drying out.
- Place each clam in shell on the foil.
** TIP: To keep them from moving & tipping, simply take a small bowl of sea salt and add a tiny bit of water to just moisten the salt & make it clumpy. Place a small mound on the foil & place a shell on the salt mound. It will stay put better.
- Top each clam with an equal amount of the bacon mixture.
- Broil until tops are browned and clams are done. Serve with lemon wedges if desired.