Easy Crab Rangoon
- 1 pkg
- surimi or pollock (imitation crab), small - finely chopped
- 16 oz
- cream cheese, whipped & in a tub is easiest, room temperature
- 1-2 tsp
- 1-2 dash(es)
- onion powder
- 1 dash(es)
- garlic powder
- 1 pkg
- small, square wonton wrappers
- egg, lightly beaten in small bowl
- oil for deep frying
How to Make Easy Crab Rangoon
- 1Be sure no large pieces of surimi are left. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, onion powder and garlic powder. Gently fold in surimi until evenly spread throughout cream cheese mixture.
- 2Okay, this is where it gets messy. Have a few paper towels on hand. Spread one paper towel on work surface (might want to do this where you can sit down). Remove one wonton from package and place it on the paper towel, turned so that one point is toward you (diamond shaped). Dip your fingers in egg and moisten all along the edges of the point closest to you (half the wonton will be moistened). Quickly place a semi-rounded teaspoon of surimi mixture in the center of the diamond. Take the dry point (the one pointing away from you) and gently pull it over the moistened point. Carefully pat the seam together, making sure that NO AIR is left in the pocket. It may be necessary to go back over the edges with egg-moistened fingers. Place on tray or sheet until ready to fry. Keep away from drafts or your wonton will dry out quickly. Repeat until you run out of wonton or cream cheese mixture.
- 3In a skillet, deep fryer or whatever method you use, heat oil to 350. Fry prepared wonton for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until light golden brown. Quickly remove any wonton that break open. The cream cheese mixture will pop and char in the hot oil and discolor the rest of your wontons. Drain on paper bag or paper towels. Can be placed in warm oven to retain crispness and warmth until ready to serve.