50little neck clams, live
1/3 ckosher salt (iodized will kill clams)
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
3 largecloves garlic, minced
1 cdry white wine
1/4 cfresh lemon juice (plus extra lemons for serving)
·zest of one lemon
1 Tbspred pepper flakes (or to taste)
3 Tbspfresh parsley, finely chopped
How to Make Drunken Clams
- 1 hour before cooking mix kosher salt, cornmeal and cold water to fill large bowl. Add clams and refrigerate for 1 hour to remove sand.
- Remove clams from cornmeal mixture and scrub well under cold running water.
- Melt butter over medium heat in large stockpot, add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes and mix well into mixture.
- Gently add clams in one layer.
- Bring liquid to boil then cover tightly and lower heat to gentle simmer. Steam until clams open...typically between 10 and 12 minutes. Discard all clams that did not open.
- To serve, add clams to a large bowl, pour broth over the clams and sprinkle with parsley. Add more lemon juice if desired. Use crusty french bread to soak up the broth.