40whole basil leaves
1 1/2 cmayonnaise
2 tspdijon mustard
2 tsplemon juice
2 Tbspolive oil
2finely chopped celery stalks
2/3 cfinely chopped onion
2 3/4 cdry bread crumbs
1/4 cchives, chopped
2 Tbspchopped parsley
2 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Crab Cakes with Basil Mayonnaise
- FOR BASIL MAYONNAISE: Blanch basil leaves in saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain.
- Transfer leaves to medium bowl filled with ice water to cool.
- Pat dry on paper towels. Finely chop basil.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice and cayenne together.
- Set aside 1/2 cup mayonnaise for the crab cakes.
- Mix basil into remainder and refrigerate.
- FOR CRAB CAKES: Heat olive oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add celery and onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in crabmeat, 2/3 cup breadcrumbs, chopped chives and reserved mayonanaise.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using 1/3 cup for each, form into 12 2 1/2" cakes. Arrange cakes on a baking sheet.
- Place flour in a small bowl.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl.
- Place remaining 2 cups breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Bread each cake in the following order: flour, eggs then breadcrumbs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add crab cakes in batches, cooking until golden, adding more oil as required.
- Serve with basil mayonnaise.