1 tspsharp prepared mustard
1 Tbsplemon juice, fresh
6 Tbspolive oil, divided
1 lblump crabmeat, picked clean
1/2 cbread crumbs, plain
How to Make Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes
- Using an electric blender or wire whisk, beat together mustard, lemon juice and egg until thoroughly combined.
- While beating vigorously, gradually pour 4 tablespoons of olive oil into the egg mixture in a thin stream.
- When smooth and creamy, stir in salt and pepper.
- Gently fold in crabmeat, then bread crumbs and cayenne pepper.
- Shape into 8 patties, each about a half-inch thick.
- They will want to fall apart, but that's the idea of a good crab cake.
- You want only enough non-crab stuff to just barely bind them.
- Melt butter together with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- When butter sizzles (but before it burns!) gently ease the crab cakes into the skillet to cook.
- When well browned (2 to 3 minutes), gently turn and cook other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with parsley, lemon and tartar sauce, if desired.
- Makes 4 main-course servings, 8 appetizers.