California Rolls (Sushi)
Connie "Kiyu" Guerrero
This is also a great side dish for your Sunday afternoon football game.
You can use any filling such as: scrambled eggs (cut lengthwise), any Deli Salad, Avocado, cucumber, pickled red ginger...etc.
4 csushi rice (cooked)
1 pkgnori sushi wrappers (seaweed)
1 mediumavocado (thin slice lengthwise)
1 mediumcucumber (remove the seeds and slice thin lengthwise)
1 ccrabmeat or (deli crab salad)
1 mediumbowl of water (to dip you fingers so it don't stick)
1 bottlefurikake (seaweed rice sprinkler)
2 Tbspred pickles ginger (for garnish)
4 Tbsprice vinegar
1/4 cwater (more or less)
How to Make California Rolls (Sushi)
- Make the rice - (Mix 4-tbsp rice vinegar, salt, sugar and water) - Mix vinegar water mixture into the rice and mix them well. - This is done to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingers and also to add flavor to the rice)
- Cover the bamboo mat in plastic wrap.
Cut a piece of Nori (seaweed/algae) in two..
Cut up some avacado, cucumber and cream cheese.
- Place the ½ nori sheet at the end (toward you) of the mat.
Spread a small handfull of sushi rice on the nori sheet, leaving a ¼ of an inch on either side..
Shake on some furikake or sesame seeds.
Flip the whole thing over (yes it's sticky enough that it's possible)
- Place one slice avacado, cucumber and crab meat and mayonaise or cream cheese (thin slice) along the middle of the roll.
Roll gently with even pressure. Cut roll in half.
Align the 2 halves and cut twice into 6 even pieces.
- Arrange the sushi on a platter and serve.
FOR DIPPING SAUCE: Mix in a small bowl, 3-tbsp Soy sauce, 2-tbsp lemon juice and wasabi.