Butterflied, Pancetta-Tied Fantails
- 1 lb
- shrimp, 16-20 count (i buy de-veined ez peel)
- 1/2 lb
- pancetta, sliced thin
- 8 oz
- polenta, prepared set aside (can buy prepared polenta)
- 4 oz
- whipped philly cream cheese with chive
- 2 tsp
- lemon juice, fresh
- 1-2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- 1 tsp
- red pepper flakes (for mild heat)
- 1 Tbsp
- cilantro, chopped - optional
- 2 Tbsp
- celery, chopped small - optional
- 1/2 c
- jam, such as raspberry chipotle or jalapeno for drizzle
- celery stalks and/or carrot sticks for garnish
How to Make Butterflied, Pancetta-Tied Fantails
- 1STEP #1 Shrimp: Grasp tail and peel-off shrimp shell (leave on tails). Use a paring knife and gently split back to butterfly. Pat dry with paper towels, place in bowl, cover and set aside in refrigerator.
- 2STEP #2 Prepare Filling: In medium mixing bowl mash polenta and cream cheese togetehr. Add lemon juice, zest, pepper flakes, celery & cilantro. Salt & Pepper to taste but not much - pancetta is salty. Place an iron skillet (or heavy, oven safe pan) on stove over medium heat, singfilling. Place an oven rack 5-6 inches from broiler element. Broiler to low setting.
- 3STEP #3 Divide Filling in Half and reserve for plating. Scoop about 1 1/2 heaping teaspoon of filling for each shrimp. Wrap each shrimp entirely and securely with pancetta, and place momentarily on plate or baking sheet. Spread the tails to form fans.
Move all 16 shrimp to hot skillet quickly and place skillet in oven on top shelf, under broiler. Check after three minutes. Remove 2-3 minutes later - or when shrimp is orange and pancetta sizzles. (You begin to smell the pancetta bacon toasting. Pancetta should be somewhat crispy and appear a golden brown color.
Spread about 2 tablespoons of filling onto a small plate and arrange four shrimp on top. Add celery and carrot sticks to garnish, if desired. Drizzle with jam. Serve with a pitcher of margaritas! Tasty y'all!