Blue Ribbon Recipe
Savory, satisfying and perfectly crispy! This is a terrific, basic recipe for making delicious calamari at home. The Test Kitchen
3 cvegetable oil (for the deep fat fryer)
1/4 call-purpose flour
1/2 tspground black pepper
12-20squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
1lemon for garnish
How to Make Breaded Calamari
- Preheat oil in a heavy, deep frying pan or pot. Oil should be heated to 365º.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, oregano, and black pepper.
- Dredge squid through flour and spice mixture.
- Place breaded squid in oil for 2-3 minutes (I like to go for 2:30), or until light brown. Beware of overcooking, as it will be tough if overcooked.
- Dry on paper towels, serve with wedges of lemon.