Best Crab Dip
Many thanks to Bonnie for sharing her photo of the finished product.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is a great as a dip, we actually made it the focus of our main meal. I served this with multi-grain gluten-free crackers, onion crackers, toasted French baguettes and celery sticks. It is hard to stop eating it once you start!
This is not your regular boring dip. Fresh, satisfying, light and creamy, I think it would be welcome with almost any cuisine. I would recommend draining the crab meat very well so the mixture remains thick. The Test Kitchen
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup - do not dilute
- 8 oz
- cream cheese - not the spreadable kind
- 1 c
- real mayonnaise - no substitutions
- 1 c
- finely chopped celery
- 3/4 c
- finely chopped red onion *see notes
- 12 oz
- cooked crab *see notes
- cracker of your choice
How to Make Best Crab Dip
- 1Put soup into small saucepan and warm. Do not boil.
- 2Cut cream cheese into about 16 pieces.
- 3When soup is warm add the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- 4Turn off the heat. Add the mayonnaise to the cream cheese mixture and blend well.
- 5Add remaining ingredients except for crackers and stir to mix well.
- 6Pour all into a bowl and chill for at least 8 hours.
- 7Serve cold with crackers.
I have made this so many times I can't even tell you! I have used many different brands of soup and I can tell you the name brand is the only way to go.
I have also made this with other than real mayonnaise and it does not taste right. Using real mayonnaise is a critical choice with this dip.
The amount of onion and crab are up to you.
We prefer a nice strong onion flavor, but if you don't please feel free to reduce the amount of onion.
I prefer the flavor of red onion in this recipe, but I have used scallions and they weren't too bad.
Now for the crab. I only use real fresh crab and I use a lot of it because it is so danged good.
I've made this with canned crab before and it's ok but just doesn't pack the same punch as fresh crab.
The amount you use is - once again - up to you and your taste.
And one more note ... this is also extremely yummy if you add some shrimp to it!
I hope you enjoy this timeless dish.