Bacalaitos Frito (Codfish Fritters)
You can find dry salted codfish in Latin, Italian & Greek markets. I prefer boneless for this recipe.
You can easily double the recipe & for added color add one packet Sazon with Achiote to batter.
1/2 lbdry salted codfish (rinse off salt then put in container with warm water for 1 hour)
2 call purpose flour
1/2 tspbaking powder
1/8 tspblack pepper
1 1/2 cwater
·good shake of dried parsley
·oil for frying
How to Make Bacalaitos Frito (Codfish Fritters)
- In a bowl put the flour, baking powder, pepper and parsley
- Strain the codfish that's been soaking and flake with your hands (or a fork)
- Slowly whisk water into dry ingredients to make a batter
- Add codfish to batter and stir with spatula, scraping bowl as you stir
- Fry by 1/4 or 1/2 cupfuls in hot oil (350 degrees) turning once until nice & golden (don't burn)
- Strain on paper towels, serve immediately.