Bacalaitos Frito (Codfish Fritters)
You can find dry salted codfish in Latin, Italian & Greek markets. I prefer boneless for this recipe.
You can easily double the recipe & for added color add one packet Sazon with Achiote to batter.
- 1/2 lb
- dry salted codfish (rinse off salt then put in container with warm water for 1 hour)
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 1/2 c
- good shake of dried parsley
- oil for frying
How to Make Bacalaitos Frito (Codfish Fritters)
- 1In a bowl put the flour, baking powder, pepper and parsley
- 2Strain the codfish that's been soaking and flake with your hands (or a fork)
- 3Slowly whisk water into dry ingredients to make a batter
- 4Add codfish to batter and stir with spatula, scraping bowl as you stir
- 5Fry by 1/4 or 1/2 cupfuls in hot oil (350 degrees) turning once until nice & golden (don't burn)
- 6Strain on paper towels, serve immediately.