Avocado and Shrimp Sushi
Although it's often served as a main dish, this can also be served as an appetizer, providing about 64 pieces that should serve a fairly large crowd. They're usually serve on a platter with wasabi paste, soy sauce and pickled ginger. But you can have any number of other sushi dipping sauces.
- 2 c
- uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1/4 c
- rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp
- wasabi paste (japanese horseradish)
- 1 large
- avocado, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh cilantro
- 24 large
- shrimp, peeled and cooked and halved lengthwise (about 8-oz)
- nori sheets (dried seaweed)
- green onions (green parts cut into 7-inch strips)
- 1 large
- cucumber, cut into strips about 7 inches long
- pickled ginger, for serving
- soy sauce, for serving
How to Make Avocado and Shrimp Sushi
- 1Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir vinegar into cooked rice; cover and cool to room temperature.
- 2Combine wasabi and avocado in a small bowl, and set aside.
- 3Combine cilantro and shrimp in another small bowl; toss well.
- 4Place 1 nori sheet, shiny side down (rough side up), on a sushi mat (or a towel placed on a flat surface). Cover the sushi mat or towel with a sheet of plastic wrap, with the long end toward you. Moisten your hands (to prevent sticking), and place 3/4 cup rice mixture evenly over each nori sheet and gently pat down, leaving about a 1-inch border on one long end of the nori sheet. Spread 1 tablespoon avocado mixture over the rice layer. Arrange 8 shrimp pieces, 1 green onion strip, and 2 cucumber strips along the bottom third of the rice-covered nori.
- 5Lift edge of nori closest to you, and fold about 1/2 inch of nori over the filling. Lift the bottom edge of the sushi mat or towel, and roll toward the top edge (rolling away from you), pressing firmly on sushi roll as you roll. Continue rolling to top edge, and then press the mat or towel to help seal the sushi roll. Set the sushi roll aside, seam side down, for 5 minutes.
- 6Slice crosswise into 8 pieces. Repeat procedure with remaining nori and other ingredients.
- 7Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.