Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From El Cocodrilo's cookbook.
3 3/4 cmasa harina
2 1/2 cwarm water
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsphot red pepper sauce
1green bell pepper, chopped
1 mediumred onion, chopped
1/2 cshredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 cshredded cooked chicken
2 Tbspcorn oil, for cooking
How to Make Pupusas
- Combine the masa harina and water in a medium-size bowl. Mix thoroughly until the dough just holds together; it will have the consistency of pie dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls: six 2-ounce balls and six 3-ounce balls. Set aside.
- Place the black pepper, cumin, red pepper sauce, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion in a food processor or blender; puree until well blended.
- Flatten one 3-ounce ball of tortilla dough into a 5-1/2 to 6 1/2-inch circle.
- In the center of the tortilla, place 1 tablespoon of the pureed mixture, 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella cheese, and 2 tablespoons of the chicken.
- Flatten one 2-ounce ball of the tortilla dough into a 4- to 5-inch circle and place over the larger tortilla, covering the filling. Press the edges of both tortillas together, so they form a sealed pocket. Repeat this process five more times.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of oil in medium nonstick skillet and spread it around with a paper towel. Heat the oil; add 1 or 2 pupusas. Cook over medium heat, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes. Repeat until all the pupusas are cooked.
- Cheese Pupusas
Substitute 1-1/4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese for both the chicken and the cheese in the pupusa filling. When filling the tortillas, top the puree mixture with 3 tablespoons of cheese. Continue as directed.